I found this letter Travis wrote to his siblings in March of 2011. I thought I would throw it in the blog for safe keeping.
Dear Family,
I love the idea of a newsletter. It is wonderful to hear from everybody, although I know it takes time to write. We are doing pretty well. It is a busy time for us as I'm sure it is for many of you. I am trying to keep up with my children and and doing a moderate job. Most weeks I have too many things going on.
Last year was a very busy year for me. The company doubled in revenues, but not without some growing pains for me personally. There are a lot more "cooks in the kitchen" now, and what I'm serving is not always well received. Consequently, I'm not having as much fun as I used to be, and sometimes it is just a job. But, I'm looking for the good, and interested in what the next adventure will be.
I spent a lot of time in New York City last year, and got a lot of JetBlue points. We used some of those points to fly Amy out to New York to spend a day with me on my last trip. We went to a nice steakhouse and saw Wicked on Broadway, ending the evening on top of the Empire State Building amazed at what Fractional Reserve Banking has done to concentrate wealth in one place (yeah, Amy thought it killed the mood too). But, it was a magical evening. Amy's parents were on hand to watch the kids for the 36 hours that Amy was gone.
Amy's parents had stayed with us for about a month which was nice for the kids. But, Amy's father had a mini heart attack after we took him to Texas BBQ (Salt Lick) and he was in the hospital for 7 days over New Year's. The doctors provided him with great care and he returned home with Amy's mother to enjoy the cold of Utah.
Amanda, almost 16, made State Choir a few weeks ago which is a *huge* accomplishment. Only one other woman had made State Choir from Dripping Springs High School in its history. So, we are all quite proud of her. She sings Alto II and definitely has Mom's talent for Sight Singing (she aces that part of the audition). She is in Jazz Cats as well this year, and is taking 4 AP classes. Her school has a lot of bright kids and they all push each other (a bit too much, I think, but she is her own girl).She is getting surgery this June on her back (to straighten the Kyphosis) which she is apprehensive but excited about. She will be a Senior next year and is starting to think about college.
Aubrey is our teenage girl. She turned 14 in November, and loves Stake dances (Amanda never attends them), and friends, and hair, and makeup, and everything else I've come to expect from teenage girls. She is going to EFY this summer in San Antonio and looking forward to it. Aubrey does well in school also and has a beautiful voice. She is on the 8th grade girls basketball team and has been improving dramatically. She is not really excited about trying to play basketball, but she is so tall and a pretty good shooter it seems a waste for her not to pursue it more. We
will see. Breanna, 12, is an amazing piano player. She is a perfectionist and reminds me some of
Lynnette :) Everything has to be "just right" and she gets a bit bent out of shape if things are not going well. Breanna loves family game night and is an agressive little basketball player herself. She puts a lot of energy into school, and never seems to need any help. She has a little cadre of friends that she won't talk about at dinner time ("fine" is her favorite answer), but we did get them all over for a birthday party in October and they are good girls.
Jason, 9, is a young cub scout who is sensitive, caring, and really good at math. He enjoys playing video games and seems to have a photographic memory for them at least his sisters are very impressed. Jason is in 3rd grade this year and pretty talHl.e is playing the piano now and has great musical skills. He won first place (a perfect score) in the music memory interschool regional competition.
Joshua, 6, is a socialite. He loves friends and seems to come by them easily. He is conscientious and obedient to adults. He just won an award for "selfdiscipline" in Kindergarten. He loves playing games with and loves soccer and any sport with Dad. He also loves "movie night" and family dinner. He is a really delightful boy.
Kaleb, on the other hand, can be delightful (especially when he is sleeping). He has a great smile and laugh and loves to be chased around the house. He adores his siblings and is learning to talk better now that we got tubes in his ears and drained the perennial fluid that was making the world sound submerged. He has really taken off in the past few months and we see some end to some of the discipline problems we have faced (now if we can just get him to sleep in his own bed he turned 3 on January 11th). Generally, Kaleb seems to have been sent to make sure he is the last.
We bought a travel trailer in the summer (one of Amy's inspirations and acquisitions) and have been enjoying "camping" together as a family at several of the state parks in Texas. This is camping a bit different from what I remember but I really like it. It's nice to have something to do as a family when I'm home.
I think Amy wanted something for our family to do together because I was literally gone from March until December for at least 2 weeks a month (and sometimes all 4). It was hard for everybody. I tried to be home on the weekends, but didn't always succeed (like when I was in London). Amy learned she can run a house all by herself (I'm not too sure I wanted her to learn that), and I had to fit back in once my travel schedule subsided a bit. She stayed seriously busy with the kids, and since we live "out in the country' she plays taxi service almost all day long most days. I remember when I was younger, I rode my bike or walked to a lot of my activities. Here, any activity the kids are involved with requires transportation which keeps Amy very busy.
Amy also got to know a lot of the neighbors this year by participating in the ladies' "Bible" study. This is where they get together and talk about a book written by somebody who once picked up a Bible. Amy finds it a rather interesting way to study, but does enjoy the fellowship with women of a different faith and hopes she is softening some of the myths about Mormons that might still
exist.
I have been reading a lot of interesting books last year but couldn't pick just one to send this year for Christmas. I actually listen to a lot of podcasts (the Brain Science podcast is still one of my favorites). I've been reading "The Ego Tunnel" lately by a neuroscience philosopher that talks about the embodiment of our consciousness as a byproduct of our biochemistry. I have a lot to say about this topic but will relent. Suffice it to say that I think it will be a very interesting next few years as we learn more and more about what part of ourselves goes on beyond this life, and what part of ourselves is just a "transparent selfmodel" trying to help us cope materially with a complicated world.
We miss all of you very much. Texas is really nice, but we so much miss associating with all of you. You are all welcome in our home anytime you can visit. Just remember, It is easy to make a newsletter sound like everything is roses. I've just given you some of the highlights. We havemanychallengesaswellwithourchildren,withourrelationships,withmyworkW. e
just keep trying to look at the sunrise instead of the dark sky and notice the opportunity for change and wonder that each new day gives us (even if we have spent the whole night in tears).
Thanks Lisa, for a great idea, and I look forward to hearing from everyone. Love, Travis
Dear Family,
I love the idea of a newsletter. It is wonderful to hear from everybody, although I know it takes time to write. We are doing pretty well. It is a busy time for us as I'm sure it is for many of you. I am trying to keep up with my children and and doing a moderate job. Most weeks I have too many things going on.
Last year was a very busy year for me. The company doubled in revenues, but not without some growing pains for me personally. There are a lot more "cooks in the kitchen" now, and what I'm serving is not always well received. Consequently, I'm not having as much fun as I used to be, and sometimes it is just a job. But, I'm looking for the good, and interested in what the next adventure will be.
I spent a lot of time in New York City last year, and got a lot of JetBlue points. We used some of those points to fly Amy out to New York to spend a day with me on my last trip. We went to a nice steakhouse and saw Wicked on Broadway, ending the evening on top of the Empire State Building amazed at what Fractional Reserve Banking has done to concentrate wealth in one place (yeah, Amy thought it killed the mood too). But, it was a magical evening. Amy's parents were on hand to watch the kids for the 36 hours that Amy was gone.
Amy's parents had stayed with us for about a month which was nice for the kids. But, Amy's father had a mini heart attack after we took him to Texas BBQ (Salt Lick) and he was in the hospital for 7 days over New Year's. The doctors provided him with great care and he returned home with Amy's mother to enjoy the cold of Utah.
Amanda, almost 16, made State Choir a few weeks ago which is a *huge* accomplishment. Only one other woman had made State Choir from Dripping Springs High School in its history. So, we are all quite proud of her. She sings Alto II and definitely has Mom's talent for Sight Singing (she aces that part of the audition). She is in Jazz Cats as well this year, and is taking 4 AP classes. Her school has a lot of bright kids and they all push each other (a bit too much, I think, but she is her own girl).She is getting surgery this June on her back (to straighten the Kyphosis) which she is apprehensive but excited about. She will be a Senior next year and is starting to think about college.
Aubrey is our teenage girl. She turned 14 in November, and loves Stake dances (Amanda never attends them), and friends, and hair, and makeup, and everything else I've come to expect from teenage girls. She is going to EFY this summer in San Antonio and looking forward to it. Aubrey does well in school also and has a beautiful voice. She is on the 8th grade girls basketball team and has been improving dramatically. She is not really excited about trying to play basketball, but she is so tall and a pretty good shooter it seems a waste for her not to pursue it more. We
will see. Breanna, 12, is an amazing piano player. She is a perfectionist and reminds me some of
Lynnette :) Everything has to be "just right" and she gets a bit bent out of shape if things are not going well. Breanna loves family game night and is an agressive little basketball player herself. She puts a lot of energy into school, and never seems to need any help. She has a little cadre of friends that she won't talk about at dinner time ("fine" is her favorite answer), but we did get them all over for a birthday party in October and they are good girls.
Jason, 9, is a young cub scout who is sensitive, caring, and really good at math. He enjoys playing video games and seems to have a photographic memory for them at least his sisters are very impressed. Jason is in 3rd grade this year and pretty talHl.e is playing the piano now and has great musical skills. He won first place (a perfect score) in the music memory interschool regional competition.
Joshua, 6, is a socialite. He loves friends and seems to come by them easily. He is conscientious and obedient to adults. He just won an award for "selfdiscipline" in Kindergarten. He loves playing games with and loves soccer and any sport with Dad. He also loves "movie night" and family dinner. He is a really delightful boy.
Kaleb, on the other hand, can be delightful (especially when he is sleeping). He has a great smile and laugh and loves to be chased around the house. He adores his siblings and is learning to talk better now that we got tubes in his ears and drained the perennial fluid that was making the world sound submerged. He has really taken off in the past few months and we see some end to some of the discipline problems we have faced (now if we can just get him to sleep in his own bed he turned 3 on January 11th). Generally, Kaleb seems to have been sent to make sure he is the last.
We bought a travel trailer in the summer (one of Amy's inspirations and acquisitions) and have been enjoying "camping" together as a family at several of the state parks in Texas. This is camping a bit different from what I remember but I really like it. It's nice to have something to do as a family when I'm home.
I think Amy wanted something for our family to do together because I was literally gone from March until December for at least 2 weeks a month (and sometimes all 4). It was hard for everybody. I tried to be home on the weekends, but didn't always succeed (like when I was in London). Amy learned she can run a house all by herself (I'm not too sure I wanted her to learn that), and I had to fit back in once my travel schedule subsided a bit. She stayed seriously busy with the kids, and since we live "out in the country' she plays taxi service almost all day long most days. I remember when I was younger, I rode my bike or walked to a lot of my activities. Here, any activity the kids are involved with requires transportation which keeps Amy very busy.
Amy also got to know a lot of the neighbors this year by participating in the ladies' "Bible" study. This is where they get together and talk about a book written by somebody who once picked up a Bible. Amy finds it a rather interesting way to study, but does enjoy the fellowship with women of a different faith and hopes she is softening some of the myths about Mormons that might still
exist.
I have been reading a lot of interesting books last year but couldn't pick just one to send this year for Christmas. I actually listen to a lot of podcasts (the Brain Science podcast is still one of my favorites). I've been reading "The Ego Tunnel" lately by a neuroscience philosopher that talks about the embodiment of our consciousness as a byproduct of our biochemistry. I have a lot to say about this topic but will relent. Suffice it to say that I think it will be a very interesting next few years as we learn more and more about what part of ourselves goes on beyond this life, and what part of ourselves is just a "transparent selfmodel" trying to help us cope materially with a complicated world.
We miss all of you very much. Texas is really nice, but we so much miss associating with all of you. You are all welcome in our home anytime you can visit. Just remember, It is easy to make a newsletter sound like everything is roses. I've just given you some of the highlights. We havemanychallengesaswellwithourchildren,withourrelationships,withmyworkW. e
just keep trying to look at the sunrise instead of the dark sky and notice the opportunity for change and wonder that each new day gives us (even if we have spent the whole night in tears).
Thanks Lisa, for a great idea, and I look forward to hearing from everyone. Love, Travis
No comments:
Post a Comment