Wednesday, May 5, 2010

129

That is my new favorite number. Let me explain...

Last spring (2009) Jason started showing up with bruises. I would ask him what happened and he would casually answer, "I don't know" and run off to play. I passed them off as just a boy thing, but in the back of my mind I was concerned. Nothing like denial to buy time though! Unfortunately, I couldn't live in the land of denial for too long, because as the bruises got bigger, and with no cause to blame them on, I knew it was time to visit the pediatrician.

Briefly looking Jason over, Dr. P's first question was about any history of blood disorders in the family. Of course, I knew that question would be asked, but to my surprise, the tears just started to flow when those words came from the lips of a professional. My mind went back 25 years to my sweet brother Brian. Unexplained bruises, terrible nose bleeds, extreme fatigue, 2 very concerned parents, and a diagnosis of idiopathic thrombocytopenia (ITP). Then came the drastic use of steroids and an eventual splenectomy. He still suffers the effects.

Apologizing for my tears, I very briefly told of my brother's diagnosis. The doctor and I both knew that discussing all the other possibilities was not what my emotions needed, and that we should just get the blood work done. I didn't ask what he thought it might be, and he didn't tell, though I knew things were swirling around in his mind.

Off to the lab we went. Jason was so brave (and naive) when it came to getting that big needle stuck in his arm. The lab ladies just fell in love with him. I couldn't believe this was the same boy who just a few years earlier threw the biggest fits over the slightest splinter!

All the rest of that day I worried. Of course, I called my mom to tell her of the happenings which turned out to be a mistake. She unfortunately reminded me that my uncle died of leukemia, which is something I had forgotten. Bless her heart, she didn't mean to be thoughtless, but it probably would have been best for her to just wait until the next day when we got the results of the blood work. Envisioning my sweet little boy with leukemia was a very difficult place for my mind to visit. Needless to say, it was a long, tearful, restless night.

The doctor called the next day with the diagnosis. He indeed had ITP, which is basically unexplained low blood platelets (his blood was unable to clot well). To tell you the truth, given all of the other options, this was a more welcomed diagnosis. And when the pediatrician told me that he had also been concerned about leukemia, I knew it was somewhat of a relief to him as well.

The normal range for platelets is from 150,000- 400,000 and Jason had 17,000. I was instructed to not allow him to run, ride his bike, play at the playground, be on the swim team, and no sports. These things could cause uncontrolled bleeding in the brain. So much for extracting his infected tooth, which was scheduled for the next day.

Sometimes things will clear up on their own, but knowing that I had seen the bruises for several weeks prior to this diagnosis, I didn't have much hope of this going away quickly. We tracked his blood every week for the next 4 weeks without any change. So, off we went to the pediatric specialist in blood disorders. Happily we found the specialist to be positive and reassuring. He gave Jason more leeway as far as physical activity was concerned and told us to just keep tracking things every month for a little while.

Things stayed at 17 for a couple more weeks, and then jumped to 32! We were excited and hoped that things would just keep doubling, but discouragement came when we rebounded back to 17 again. I decided to get a little more aggressive and started studying about how to raise platelet levels. With the help of a nutritionist, we started a diet of no sugar or white stuff (simple carbs), no preservatives, and limited dairy. Also, a regimen of vitamins was implemented (including cod liver oil- yuck!). The whole family was on board and supportive. Aubrey even turned down cake!!! I got a wheat grinder to make homemade bread. After a couple of months, we visited Jason's least favorite place for another blood draw, and got a result of 62! Yay! Since we still had a ways to go, we kept things up as much as possible. And just last month we got good news, and my new favorite number. 129!

Jason looks healthy, feels well, and has no more bruises. We are blessed.

No comments: